Top Search Engine Results Position Myths
Many people think that having a web-page on top of search engine results is either impossible, or that it requires thousands of links from other websites. That is a myth.
If a page has a good content, good menu and inter-link structure, it can appear on top of search queries that return more than a million results. In addition, no outside links may be necessary! Often, only few (1-3) may be enough. I did a search engine optimization on few web-sites that had no, or only 1 weak incoming link, and yet, they appeared for few relevant 2 word queries on the top among million+ results. If the industry is really competitive, and you are trying to target a single word, then yes, certain number of quality outside links will be necessary (qualified clients can get a high PR help from this web-site). However, if user types only 1 word, he/she probably doesn't really know what he/she wants to find. The ones who do, and look for specific things are more likely going to do a purchase/sales, and optimizing pages for those users is a realistic and proven task that real content SEO writing can do, and no spamming or extensive linking is necessary.
Keyword difficulty analysis and keyword selection is one of the main aspects of search engine optimization.
Next: Keyword research and difficulty analysis.
Previous: Google, Yahoo, MSN.
Unofficial Dictionary - SEO terms related to this page:
* Backlink is a link to your site from another website. Incoming links, inbound links, in links, and inward links are all different names for the same thing.
* Link Popularity is the number of back links a page has, regardless of the quality of the pages or sites linking to it.
* Outbound Link is a link from your website to another site or page. Usually it sucks your web-site page rank. While there were no nofollow tags, that was OK. But then most visited sites started putting this tag, and as a consequence, while many people link to them and give away their PageRanks, these sites do not give any PR in return. What is happening is capitalization and concentration of Page Rank! Protection from SPAM is an excuse for that, while in reality, high PRs are main reason. SlashDot has much healthier approach. One solution to this is to link without this tag only to small and obscure sites with good content.
* Query is the same as Keywords, only with implicit question mark.
* Rank is position where a site appears in search results. We all want to be on top no matter if we deserve it. Therefore all these 'unnatural' ways of achieving optimal 'natural' search results.
* Search Engine is the thing without which this site would have no need to exist. It collects all web-pages on the internet, and when we look for something, search engines tell us on what web-page we will find it.
* Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via natural (organic or algorithmic)
search results. This process includes optimization of humans who make
web-sites to achieve higher performance in web-site design by trying to
figure out what exactly are search engines doing. Once they find out,
few guys in search engine companies change how these engines work, so
that other SEO guys would have what to do in their free time - as if we didn't hear about books, television, travel, and dance!
* Search Engine Results Page (SERP) is a page that sometimes displays the results you were searching for.